Friday, April 18, 2014

Theron's 2nd Birthday Party

While planning Theron's second birthday party, mind you only a couple weeks before the big day, I made the comment that I didn't want anything big. When all was said and done, it wasn't really that big at all, but next year I definitely want to go somewhere where basically all we do is show up and Theron can run around and we can eat and then pack up and go home.  Does that make me sound lazy? 

Don't answer that! Haha!

While I planned Theron's first birthday party for what seemed like months, I really only invested days into his second.  I assume it's like that with most parents. Or that's what I've been telling myself.  

Following in the footsteps of Ms. Kirsten, I made Theron's invites in PowerPoint and had them printed at CVS since they can print PNG images.  They were printed on glossy paper but in the future, if I remember, I am going to take them somewhere else to be printed on cardstock.  

I was completely inspired by an Etsy invite [and of course I can't find it for the life of me!] but put our own wording on Theron's version.  Like I said before, if only I was half as creative as I am a good copier-haha! 



As you can tell, T's pretty obsessed with anything that moves.  He gets the biggest smile when we see, talk about, or drive by any moving vehicle.  Obviously this was a no brainer for his party plans. 

Of course, Theron's grandpa Dan came through big time with these construction signs that he made from a picture I texted him. I've told you a time or two before that this man can do ANYTHING. 



While T was napping away, we snapped some family pics before the party brigade showed up.  I got to rock my Anthro skirt that I paid way too much for.  Eee!





I followed this tutorial for the tassel garland and the sparkly 'Happy Birthday' banner was a Brickyard Buffalo score last year!

I was going for a construction colors vibe for the garland but I am well aware it read Halloweenish.  You win some, you lose some! I was pleasantly surprised how fast I made it and how good it looked from afar.  Just don't zoom in on that pic!


On the food tables I purchased some plain black fabric from Joann Fabrics and used white duck tape for the road markings. I found these cute road signs on Etsy and printed them out on card stock. 


I bought some cheapie plastic trucks/cars/tractors from the Goodwill and other thrift shops for a couple dollars and spray painted them gold for a more uniform look--and, I just love gold! 

I bought some vehicle chocolate molds off of Amazon and used chocolate melts and chocolate chips to make them!


The "2" balloon was from Party City.  Most people thought it was an "S" which I guess is fitting for our last name, right? 


For the cupcake toppers I stumbled upon some mini monster trucks and race cars at both Dollar Tree and Target and scooped those up!



We went easy with the food and just had pizza, salad, and toasted ravioli which everyone seemed to enjoy.



\


I printed some IG pics via my Walgreen's app and had them printed in store.  Just like the heart, we placed them on the wall with painter's tape.  The painter's tape has held the heart up for months with no curling.  I don't know how it's doing such a good job!




We had to wake the birthday boy up from an almost 4 hour nap and while he was super shy, he handled everything like a champ. He's not much of a sweets eater at all so he didn't even touch his cupcake. He was more interested in the t-tavs.  I can't say that I blame him!


This is him making his funny face. I don't know where he got that but he thinks it's hilarious.  As do we.


The birthday boy opened up his presents and then had to check out his John Deere tractor in the garage.






You can always count on David to elicit a few laughs!


This John Deere gator is more T's style for right now.


We all know that he loves John Deere but for right now he is still apprehensive about riding the motorized tractor.  We know he'll warm up to it soon and I not-so-secretly love that he's a cautious little guy.

And while my pictures look like it was just the three of us, I swear he had a house full.  Guess that's what happens when guests roll in the camera goes away.  



When everybody was gone, T got to work depositing his gold dollars from Grandpa Dan and then got to be his silly self!



Happy birthday, big boy! You keep us on our toes all day-every day, and we wouldn't have it any other day.  Thanks for making these past two years a time we will never forget.  We can't wait to watch you grow in this third year.  Love you so much!


xoxo

10 comments:

Emily @ DavenportDIY said...

I love these!! What a cute party- and dangit, I got all teary because my little guy is going to be 2 this year! (Not until December, but STILL) How do they grow up so fast??? Also- source on the John Deere tractor? I'd love to get B a vehicle for his b-day/Christmas and his dad is a huge John Deere fan :)

Sweet As Boys said...

what an adorable party! rawley turned 3 on the 2nd and we have yet to have his party. in my defense, we are waiting for our pool and backyard to be completed so we can move the party outside ;) since he goes crazy over balloons, i'm going to roll with that part theme. seems simple, right?! ;) we'll see.

happy birthday theron!

Sabrina said...

What a cute idea, looks like a great day! Don't feel bad about not going all out as you did his first birthday. I did the same thing with my first born. The second born didn't even get a first birthday party. (It was Christmas and we were sick, can't win em' all. :) They don't really even remember these first few birthdays anyway. It's more for mom to have some fun and have some friends and family over to celebrate.

Gabbi @ Retro Ranch Reno said...

Awwwww, what an adorable party!!! Everything turned out so good! And I'm obsessed with your skirt! Looks great on you! :)

Jenny said...

I love it! I'm with you, last year I feel like I planned/worked on Ruby's birthday party for months. This time around, well, her bday is 2 weeks from Sunday & I only just got her invitations in the mail this week! And while I have a billion ideas, I have a feeling I'll execute very few. I do think I'll be copying your photo 2 though!

Unknown said...

Happy birthday to T!!! He's getting so big and I can tell his pure joy! :) We did it 'big' for Avery's 1st b-day and 2nd was low key, this year thinking maybe a smidge big :):)

the millers said...

what a cute party! happy birthday, t!

i wish i had seen your post last week because i think i spent too much ordering a gold "2" balloon and printing instagram pics.

we need more toasted ravs in NJ. i miss them. :)

Emily @ imperfect said...

First, we have to talk about how great you look! And that skirt was worth every penny because it's fabulous. Next, the party. As with everything you do, it's wonderful. What a perfect celebration for your sweet two year old who's always on the move.

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

LOVE this birthday party. You may not have gone all out, but it really does look awesome and I adore the details. The construction signs? DEAD. I mean, seriously, I want to swing by your house and borrow them for our little wheel lover. And the gold toys. I am obsessed with that idea. Love that it made them look like new.

We are/were planning a tractor party for Henry man, but he's obsessed with what we call the three Ts - tractors, trains and trucks. I have half a mind to scrap my tractors-only theme and go for it all. =)

Also - looooove your skirt on you. You looked so pretty.

Julie S. said...

Love it! Happy Birthday, Theron!

Brayden has the red version of that tractor, and about 6 months after getting it, I watched my husband change it to the "faster" speed. He's never looked back! K even loves it now! You will get LOTS of use from it! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...