Friday, July 31, 2009

Countertop Conundrum

Well folks, it's been a good three years since we painted our kitchen cabinets and purchased a new fridge {new stove is just around the corner and new floors are coming next year}. And, because the kitchen is looking better...I've now had my fill with my old green laminate countertops! Something's gotta give, and those babies have got to hit the road.

Before {It's ok to shriek...I did it too when I first laid eyes on our kitchen!}
Oh, and that's my mom on move-in day!
Photobucket
Current State {Better...but could still use some work}
Photobucket
The other day {okay month} when David and I went to the Botanical gardens we exited through a Corian demonstration in mid set-up. The samples were huge and they looked like marble...I kid you not! I felt kinda weird exiting through somewhere we probably shouldn't have been exiting through, so I failed to snap a picture. I know, major mistake, but I was more concerned with getting out of there!

But, when I got home I could not get the images out of my head! They were haunting me. You get it right? Anyhoo, with some handy-dandy googling, I finally came across the gorgeousness that I saw... stay with me, I know you're thinking I'm off my rocker about this Corian. The countertops that I viewed are part of Corian's new-ish "private collection"...fancy, right? They have inspirations from nature and are more veiny and swirly than your average Corian piece.
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Photobucket
Now, finding a dealer that knew about this selection was a little bit tricky. It seems as if no one had the samples in the colors I wanted, and even worse, no one was familiar with the collection. I was starting to think it might not even exist. However, I ran across this site, that let me order 10x10 samples for my own viewing pleasure. Because, let me tell you, seeing these countertops in those piddly 4x4 samples just does NOT do them justice. Thank God I was able to see them at the Botanical Gardens, because otherwise, I would never have even given a second glance to the lilliputian samples in the stores.

So as it stands, I am torn between the sandalwood color and the witch hazel color. And, even more so, I don't even know what these bad boys are going to cost us! We did find a place in our little town that would order them and is setting up a bid for us as we speak. Of course, I didn't want to completely limit our options so I did shop the big box stores and a granite distributor, but nothing really compares to the Corian. There was one slab of granite that I liked, Mont Blanc, and we got our quote on it, but I'm still not 100% sold.
Photobucket
I know, you still think I'm on something, right? Hehe. : )

When we got our Corian samples in the mail I took some photos and did some photoshopping for a mock up of them.
Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Don't laugh, I'm learning my way through photoshop everyday. And, it's a tough journey!

What do you think? Like 'em, hate 'em, love 'em like I do? Do tell, blogger friends.

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE corian- we put it in the bathroom when we remodeled, but they didn't have the fancy line then. I really like them! My fav of the two is Witch Hazel, but they are both awesome!

Aura said...

Wow that looks great! I love the lighting in the after picture.

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

#1 I think your kitchen looks great. If I had the amount of style that you had in your pinkie, I'd be a happy girl.
#2 I really like the second choice.
#3 I know what you mean about being haunted by home decor. It happens to me a lot... keepin' me up at night. It's a sickness.

Freckles Chick said...

Wow, it does mimic marble! And I don't think I've ever seen your "before" kitchen shot---the transformation is freaking amazing!!

Hmmmmm, I have to say though that I prefer dark grey countertops when it comes to pairing them w/ white cabs. I feel like anything lighter looks dull in comparison. That being said, I see a Corian w/ more of a veiny grey variation running through it. Just my opinion so take it w/ a grain of salt!

###### said...

GIRL looks great. I like the sandalwood...i love browns though...

thekettrickfive said...

I agree - darker, richer countertops. Love the after shot! What a difference!

Jen said...

Those countertops are amazing. I like the darker one better because your have white cabinets.

Julie S. said...

The countertops are gorgeous! I love both, but I think I am leaning towards the second choice. And I am so jealous that you even HAVE photoshop!

leah @maritalbless said...

I'm in the minority, but I like #1!

My FIL installs it, so I know it's nice! :)

Christine said...

Hi Joi! I've really been enjoying reading your blog and seeing the manifestation of your decorating ans designing ideas. It's been said before but you have an awesome sense of style! I know who to turn to when I need a little guidance! Both Corian samples look good but I actually prefer the look of your current kitchen counters (sorry!). I think the darker color compliments the rest of the kitchen much better than a lighter color does. Just my two sense for what it's worth..... Hope to see you guys soon!

J said...

out of the two I like the Sandlewood, but I do agree I like darker countertops with a lighter color kitchen. you do not want to go to light of a color with the cabinets being white. but then again it is your kitchen and its up to you and Dave.

Heidi said...

Okay, not the answer you want, but I think they both look amazing!

SHEDOES said...

Seriously, you rock my world. Way to go :)

Jenny @ Anything Pretty said...

I love both of them (which I know is very helpful).

We were seriously considering the corian private collection as well last year but then ultimately chose granite tile because of price. It just looks so good! I am sure you have found this, but I really enjoyed playing with the sample kitchens on the corian website. Also if you are really stuck maybe leave some kitchen things (like red wine, lime juice, mustard, tomatoes, blueberries) on it overnight and see if either one stains more easily (if at all). Good luck with the decision, they are both beautiful!

layersofmeaning said...

What a trasformation! your kitchen looks great.
I like the sandalwood best.

Suzie said...

Love Corian too. All of our bathroom countertops are Corian and they are indestructible! Joi, I love the Corian Sandalwood, it's ab. gorgeous! I'm so excited about this project!

Britt said...

Your kitchen looks so much better already! And I agree with you - I think the corian will look great - just like marble but without all the upkeep.

Carry Grace said...

I like the second choice because it has a more color.

kasia said...

I love the darker one but I think you should go even darker the contrast will look awesome, not black but darker than what you have.

Megan @ Lovely Happenings said...

I am so impressed with the changes!!!! Amazing and sooo much better looking.

Unknown said...

I like those pictures, the countertop look real nice!

Melissa said...

So, I ran across this during a tedious search today. I am building a new house and I am down to Witch Hazel and Sandalwood for my kitchen counters! I just have to know which one you chose and if you are happy? I am doing white cabinets and a clean/pale yellow paint with light teal blue glass subway tile backsplash. I would love to know your outcome!! My name is Melissa and my email is heart.art22@yahoo. I'll also save this blog and check back to see if you saw this. ;)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...