Wednesday, June 1, 2011

DIY: Copycat iPad Cover

Happy Wednesday...the Memorial Day holiday is throwing me off a little! I'll get to the craigslist post a little later but for now I'm here with a little DIY project I stole from P.S. I made this.

The other day my mom and maw maw & paw paw met me for a soda after school and gifted me with a super fabulous and super early birthday/Christmas present...an iPad! Woo-to-the-hoo! I had mentioned here and there that I would love one and I was pleasantly surprised to say the least. {Thanks, guys! xoxo}

Of course my mind went straight to a fabulous case. I googled the heck out of "iPad case" but came up empty handed and uninspired. I liked a couple of random cases but all of them were too spendy and I wasn't ready to part with over $100 for a case.

So I did what any girl with a pinterest addiction would do. I headed straight on over and found *the* perfect inspiration for a perfectly doable DIY cover!


The whole project took me about an hour to do and I ♥ it! I bought all of my supplies and got to work last night.

Photobucket

I'm pretty pumped that I made this little case for less than a quarter of what I was about to pay for a different one! And, here's a little side note, I totally got lucky on the container store drawer liner...it was the first place I looked since the tutorial didn't mention its whereabouts. I really liked this particular version because it had a subtle chevron pattern. I think it's sold out online but you may be able to find a similar version at a big box store!

I think the tutorial is mostly pretty helpful, but here are some of my step-by-step pics to help you out as well!

1. Measure and cut the liner to fit your iPad {I ended up trimming about a 1/2" off of the side}:

Photobucket

Photobucket

2. Start from the bottom and wrap the tape all the way around the case:

Photobucket

Photobucket

3. Affix the velcro strip to the tab and top of the case {took these pics outside since I was losing natural lighting inside} :

Photobucket

4. Step back and admire your handiwork:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

While I could've altered the P.S. I made this version, I really didn't want to because I am totally digging the neon colors + stripe action! Neon seems like a pretty hot trend right now and you all know how I'm not one to pass up a trend...now I can be stylish for a couple seconds! ; )

However, if you're not a fan of the above colors...there are numerous colors to choose from at the store. The possibilities are truly endless.

xoxo

20 comments:

A room with a view said...

Amazing diy post. My ipad could use a better case than the current standard black one I bought in a hurry. The colors will make it easy to find. Thank you!
http://www.lminteriorsllc.blogspot.com

Lauren | Myers Maison said...

Very cute! I love the concept of making something for a fraction of the retail cost. This kind of makes me want an ipad now :)

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

So cute, Joi! Love the neon.

I like it, I love it! said...

Holy cow, that's awesome! Now, I just need an iPad!!

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

Joi! IF only I had an ipad! lol
great job girl!
gail

Courtney@SDB said...

I love my iPad! Have you seen any bloggers with iPad versions of their blogs? Omg I die for the way they look! Check out www.hibnerfamily.com on your iPad to see what I mean. And I die for her new house too- GORGY!!!

Caitlin @ Desert Domicile said...

LOVE it! Now I just need to get me an iPad :)

Anonymous said...

This is so awesome!! Now I want an iPad just so I can make a case ..what? Maybe I'll make a mini one for my iPhone! Oooo or my laptop! The ideas are flowing :)

xo Catharine @ Your Modern Couple

Anonymous said...

i don't love it... sorry.. kind of cheap looking

jonalynn said...

You continually prove that with a little imagination and some seriously fab DIY skills, cute ish doesn't have to cost a fortune! Yay!!!

turn up the rad blog
turn up the rad creative

TLF said...

This is so adorable!! I love it!!

Paige said...

Very neat. I'll have to get an ipad so I can make one! Hope the other project is soon successful too. xoxo

The Sister Sophisticate said...

Oh its so cute!

Sharstin said...

Joi!! I love this idea, turned out so cute! I really need to make one;)

Kristen said...

Turned out great!!! I think im going to make this for my friend's kindle as a bday gift!

Brooke Jones said...

Love it! You did a great job. I need to try to make a Kindle cover. :)

Anonymous said...

Is it ridiculous that I want an iPad even more now, just to make this cover? lol

Jesse {GoodGirlGoneGlad} said...

Okay! That is adorable! Way to go!
xx

Julie S. said...

Ahh congrats on the iPad! My hubs loves his- I am dying for one! And I LOVE this case!

Suzie said...

So Cute!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...